Postgres Plus Cloud Database: EDB Launch Guide
Thank You for Purchasing Postgres Plus Cloud Database!
You have selected the most scalable and full-featured cloud database supporting the world’s best ACID-compliant, open source based relational database.
Important: If you used the “Launch with EC2 Console” buttons on the Marketplace “Launch on EC2” page, the instance created DOES NOT provide the database functionality you purchased. It will self-terminate within an hour. Please follow the instructions below to correctly launch the Postgres Plus Cloud Database. These instructions will ensure that your Postgres Plus Cloud Database account is set up to deploy high-performance database clusters successfully. If you have any difficulty, please call our support organization at +1-732-331-1320 or 1-800-235-5891 (US only) for assistance.
Please make sure the person who made this purchase in the Amazon Marketplace (the AWS account holder) has completed the EnterpriseDB Support Activation Form.
How to Launch Postgres Plus Cloud Database
This guide presents the steps required to launch EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Plus Cloud Database. Completing these steps should take about ten to twenty minutes. Once you’ve completed them, you will have created an elastic high availability Postgres database cluster in the cloud.
There are two versions of Postgres Plus Cloud Database:
· Postgres Plus Cloud Database Basic – Choose this to use the community PostgreSQL database
· Postgres Plus Cloud Database Advanced – Choose this to use EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Plus Advanced Server with Oracle Compatibility and enhanced security, performance, and manageability
If you need help deciding which of these versions is right for you, please see our Postgres Plus Cloud Database product page.
Please read these instructions thoroughly before beginning. Each step includes a screenshot that matches your progress.
Table of Contents
1. Create AWS Account
2. Purchase Postgres Plus Cloud Database from Amazon Marketplace
3. Register Your AWS Account Information with Postgres Plus Cloud Database
4. Register with the EnterpriseDB Postgres Plus Forums
5. Login to the Postgres Plus Cloud Database Console and Launch a Database Cluster
Before you can purchase Postgres Plus Cloud Database from Amazon Marketplace, you need to have an Amazon AWS account. If you have already have an AWS account, please skip to step 2, otherwise follow these instructions:
1. Navigate to http://aws.amazon.com/
2. Click the “Create a Free Account” button at the top right of the web page.
3. Enter your email address into the “My e-mail address is:” text box.
4. Select “I am a new user.”
5. Click the “Sign in using our secure server” button.
6. Follow the instructions on the next pages to create your new AWS account.
With an AWS account, you can now purchase Postgres Plus Cloud Database. Please follow these instructions:
1. Navigate to the Marketplace page for the version you wish to purchase. You may purchase one or both products based on which Postgres databases you wish to use.
a. For Postgres Plus Cloud Database Basic: http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00MI8NK4U
b. For Postgres Plus Cloud Database Advanced: http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00MI8R5A0
2. Read the information on the page to become familiar with the product (the image shown here is for Postgres Plus Cloud Database Basic; the page layout and purchase process is the same for Postgres Plus Cloud Database Advanced). When done, click the Continue button.
3. On the next page, read the information about prices, End User License Agreement (the link is below the Accept Terms button), etc. When you are ready to purchase the product, click the Accept Terms button.
Important: DO NOT use the Manual Launch instructions or the Launch with EC2 Console button. The Launch Guide you are now reading is the correct way to launch the Postgres Plus Cloud Database product.
4. Verify that you see the following screen, which indicates that you have successfully purchased the product.
Important: DO NOT use the Manual Launch instructions or the Launch with EC2 Console button.
Please continue with Step 3 immediately below to successfully launch your Postgres Plus Cloud Database product.
In this step, you will configure your AWS account to include roles and policies that will allow Postgres Plus Cloud Database to setup and manage your database cluster. You will cut and paste provided policy files into your AWS account, and make small edits. If you would like to know more about Amazon AWS roles and policies, and how they ensure security of your account information, please see Controlling Access to Amazon EC2 Resources.
Please follow these instructions carefully to ensure proper setup of your AWS roles and policies:
1. Navigate to your AWS account: https://console.aws.amazon.com/iam/home?#home (you may need to login to AWS again)
2. Click the Roles menu item on the left side of the screen
3. Click the Create New Role tab
4. On the Create Role page:
a. Enter a custom Role Name (e.g., “ppcd-role”)
b. Click Next Step
5. Click Select for Amazon EC2
6. Click Custom Policy
7. Click Select for Custom Policy
8. Enter a name (e.g., “ppcd-policy”) into the Policy Name text box. Do not click Next Step now, you will return to this page after the next step.
9. In a separate browser window, navigate to https://s3.amazonaws.com/ppcd-role/ppcd-aws-role-policy.json and select, then copy, all content from the browser or reader application that displays the result
10. Return to the browser window where you just entered a policy name (2 steps ago), and paste the content from the previous step into the Policy Document text box
11. Click Next Step
12. On the Create Role page, click the Create Role button
13. In the Create New Role tab, click on the role you just created from the list of roles under the Role Name heading
14. Click the Edit Trust Relationship button
15. In a separate browser window, navigate to https://s3.amazonaws.com/ppcd-role/ppcd-aws-trust-policy.json and select then copy all content from the browser or reader application that displays the result
16. Return to the browser window in which you clicked the Edit Trust Relationship button (2 steps ago), remove any content already in the Policy Document text box, and paste the contents you just copied into the Policy Document text box.
Do not click the Update Trust Relationship Policy button now (you will return to this screen in a few steps).
17. In a separate browser window, navigate to the Postgres Plus Cloud Database console in the Amazon region in which you wish to run your database
18. Click Register
19. Enter your information into the User Details portion of the registration form
20. Click the Next button
21. Select then copy the contents of the Your External ID field
22. Return to the Amazon Edit Trust Relationship window
23. Select the EDB-PPCD-CONSOLE text at the bottom of the Policy Document, taking care to not select the quotes that surround the text
24. Do not click the Update Trust Policy button now (you will use this screen in the next step)
25. Paste the text you copied from the Your External ID field in the Postgres Plus Cloud Database window, replacing the EDB-PPCD-CONSOLE text [A]
26. Click the Update Trust Policy button [B]
27. In the Summary section [A]
28. Select and copy the content of the Role ARN field [B]
29. Return to the Postgres Plus Cloud Database window, and paste the content into the Role Arn text field [A]
30. Click Finish [B]
Congratulations! You have completed setup of your Amazon AWS and Postgres Plus Cloud Database accounts!
Before you create your first database cluster, please take a few moments to register with the EnterpriseDB Postgres Plus Forums where you’ll find lots of good information and experts who can help if you run into challenges.
The Forum is located at http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/show/21.page
Please post any and all problems, questions, comments or suggestions here so that we have a central location for your feedback, one communication channel to monitor, and all the participants can benefit.
With your accounts set up, you can now configure and launch Cloud Database clusters.
1. Return to the Postgres Plus Cloud Database console in the region you registered, and login using the username and password you chose above.
2. Click the Launch DB Cluster button
3. Enter configuration of your cluster in the Create a new Server Cluster dialog.
4. Click the Next button
5. Adjust the Automatic Backup Retention Details in Step 2 of the Create a new Server Cluster dialog to suit your backup needs
6. Click the Launch button
Congratulations! You have launched your first Postgres Plus Cloud Database cluster!