Why move from Oracle's MySQL to Postgres Plus®
There are many benefits that come from making the move from MySQL to Postgres Plus. Some of the top reasons to make the switch include the following:
- No-Compromise Feature Set - The lack of enterprise features in MySQL causes developers to code many workaround's that take a lot of time. Such is not the case with Postgres, which is the world's most advanced open source database. Postgres Plus is a robust database that includes many key features that MySQL does not or exceeds what MySQL does offer. Features like the best geo-spatial support found in any open source database, advanced SQL analytic functions, full database link/federation capabilities, table inheritance, and Oracle comparable features are all in Postgres Plus, but are either missing completely or not fully developed in MySQL.
- Better Security Model - Postgres offers the best security model of any open source database and contains features that rival the best proprietary databases in the market. Security features that Postgres Plus has over MySQL include comprehensive support for external authentication (e.g. PAM, LDAP, SSL, more), security groups/roles, built-in SQL injection attack defenses, stored procedure obfuscation, and detailed security auditing.
- Great High Availability Options - Postgres Plus contains high availability features that go beyond what is found in the standard MySQL database. In addition to standard replication support (both built-in and provided via third-parties), Postgres Plus also offers hot standby database management (like Oracle Dataguard) and a programmable middleware layer that allows easy load balancing and failover between multiple Postgres nodes.
- Superior Developer Support - Postgres offers a development environment that offers more than what is found in MySQL today. Developers can write stored procedures, functions, and more in Oracle's PL/SQL, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, C/C++, Postgres' procedure language, and more. Additionally, Postgres Plus solutions contain code debuggers, integrated and programmable connection pooling, user defined object type support, and much more.
- Built-In Oracle Compatibility - Many IT organizations run both Oracle and MySQL. Unlike with MySQL, the skill sets of Oracle database personnel transfer immediately over to Postgres with its built-in Oracle compatibility layer. DBAs and developers can write all their database code in Oracle PL/SQL and have it run on Postgres Plus. Further, Postgres Plus contains other Oracle features (e.g. a high-speed SQL*Loader utility) that help make the transition to Postgres as transparent as possible for Oracle professionals.
- Easier Database Management - Postgres Plus actually exceeds MySQL where management ease of use is concerned. Postgres Plus solutions come with one-click installers, bundled job schedulers, automatic software update notifications, automated software patch management, enterprise graphical monitoring capabilities, GUI administration and SQL querying tools, advanced performance diagnostics (including an Oracle-style wait interface, point-and-click migration tools, and other development / administration aids.
- Advanced Data Warehouse Capabilities - MySQL is known for not being able to scale where large data volumes are concerned, and therefore must rely on third-party software providers (that charge extra licensing fees) for help in supporting "big data" deployments. Postgres Plus' reputation and capabilities are different in that there are many terabyte-sized Postgres data warehouses that are supported in an out-of-the-box fashion. Further, Postgres Plus provides GridSQL, which is a parallel data warehouse option that helps organizations scale their data warehouse up to VLDB configurations with ease.
- Bundled Heterogeneous Data Management - Many organizations offload data from proprietary RDBMS's like Oracle to open source databases to create reporting solutions or other departmental applications. While there is no easy way to do this with MySQL, Postgres Plus solutions contain replication software to continuously replicate data from other databases like Oracle directly into Postgres. A GUI management console makes the configuration and management of such operations simple and straightforward.
- Open Source Independence - Unlike MySQL, Postgres is an independent open source database, which is driven by a dedicated and large community that continues to produce new, enhanced versions of the database every year. With Postgres, there are no confusing decisions to make over which fork to use, as is the case with MySQL.
- Full Enterprise Support - With EnterpriseDB, full 24x7x365 support is available for all Postgres editions. Various subscription plans are available so an organization can choose the exact set of options that are right for them. In addition, professional training classes are available as are various consulting packages that help ensure customers are successful with their Postgres implementations.
- Better Total Cost of Ownership - With Postgres Plus, you get a better database than MySQL at a cost that is actually less than what MySQL costs today. Discover the cost savings yourself - contact an EnterpriseDB Account Manager now who will help you spend less and get more with a Postgres Plus software/support subscription.
Start enjoying the benefits that come from making the move from MySQL to Postgres. For more information on getting started with Postgres Plus products and solutions, please see the following resources: