To perform an abbreviated installation of Advanced Server without access to root or administrative privileges, invoke the installer from the command line and include the ‑‑extract-only option. Invoking the installer with the ‑‑extract-only option extracts the binary files in an unaltered form, allowing you to experiment with a minimal installation of Advanced Server.If you invoke the installer with the --extract-only option, you must manually start and stop the server with pg_ctl. For more information about starting the Advanced Server service, see , Using pg_ctl to Control Advanced Server.If you include the --extract-only option when you invoke the installer, the installer steps through a shortened form of the installation wizard. During the brief installation process, the installer generates an installation script that can be later used to complete a more complete installation. To invoke the installation script, you must have superuser privileges on Linux or administrative privileges on Windows.The scripted Advanced Server installation does not include menu shortcuts or access to StackBuilder Plus, and no modifications are made to registry files. The Advanced Server Update Monitor will not detect components installed by the scripted installation, and will not issue alerts for available updates to those components.To perform a limited installation and generate an installation script, download and unpack the Advanced Server installer. Navigate into the directory that contains the installer, and invoke the installer with the command:./ppasmeta-9.4.x.x-linux.run --extract-only yesppasmeta-9.4.x.x-windows.exe --extract-only yesA dialog opens, prompting you to choose an installation language. Select a language for the installation from the drop-down listbox, and click OK to continue. The Setup Wizard opens (shown in Figure 4.54).Click Next to continue to the Advanced Server license agreement (shown in Figure 4.55).After reading the license agreement, select the appropriate radio button and click Next to continue to the User Authentication window (shown in Figure 4.56).Before continuing, you must provide the email address and password associated with your EnterpriseDB user account. Registration is free; if you do not have a user account, click the link provided to open a web browser, and register your user information.Enter the email address of a registered account in the Email field, and the corresponding password in the Password field, and click Next to continue.The Extract Mode window (shown in Figure 4.57) serves as a reminder that this is a limited installation, and as such, Update Monitor will not be able to notify you of available updates for the software included in this installation. Click Next to continue to the Installation Directory window (shown in Figure 4.58)./home/user_name/PostgresPlus/9.4ASYou can accept the default installation location, and click Next to continue to the Ready to Install window (shown in Figure 4.59), or optionally click the File Browser button to choose an alternate installation directory.Click Next to proceed with the Advanced Server installation.After completing the minimal installation, you can perform a full installation by executing the installation script that is (by default) located in:Where user_name is the name of the user that invoked the installer.To execute the installation script, open a command line and navigate to the directory that contains the script. Assume superuser or administrative privileges, and execute the command:The installation script executes at the command line, prompting you for installation configuration information. The default configuration value is displayed in square braces after each prompt; update the default value or press Enter to accept the default value and continue.The following dialog is an example of a scripted installation. The actual installation dialog will vary by platform and reflect the options specified during the installation.======================
Please enter the installation directory:
[ /opt/PostgresPlus ]:==============
NOTE: If data directory exists and postgresql.conf file exists in that directory, we will not initialize the cluster.
Please enter the data directory path:
[ /opt/PostgresPlus/9.4AS/data ]:=============
Please enter the Write-Ahead Log (WAL) directory path [C:\Program Files\PostgresPlus\9.4AS\data\pg_xlog]:Database mode specifies the database dialect that the Advanced Server installation will be compatible with. The optional values are oracle or postgresql.Specify oracle mode to include the following functionality:
• Oracle-styled concatenation rules (if you concatenate a string value with a NULL value, the returned value is the value of the string).
• Schemas (dbo and sys) compatible with Oracle databases added to the SEARCH_PATH.
This is not a comprehensive list of the compatibility features for Oracle included when Advanced Server is installed in Oracle Compatible mode. You can find more information about the compatible functionality of Advanced Server in the Database Compatibility for Oracle Developer’s Guide available at:If you choose to install in Oracle Compatible mode, the Advanced Server superuser name is enterprisedb.Specify Postgresql to install Advanced Server with complete compatibility with Postgres version 9.4.For more information about PostgreSQL functionality, see the PostgreSQL core documentation available at:If you choose to install in PostgreSQL Compatible mode, the Advanced Server superuser name is postgres.====
NOTE: We will not be able to examine, if port is currently used by other application.
Please enter port: :Specify a locale for the Advanced Server installation. If you accept the DEFAULT value, the locale defaults to the locale of the host system.Press Return, or enter Y to accept the default, and install the sample tables and procedures; enter an N and press Return to skip this step.===========================
DATABASE SUPERUSER PASSWORD
Please provide password for the super-user(enterprisedb)::
Please re-type password for the super-user(enterprisedb)::Specify and confirm a password for the database superuser. By default, the database superuser is named enterprisedb.==================
Please enter the server utilization :Specify a value between 1 and 100.The server utilization value is used as an initial value for the edb_dynatune configuration parameter. edb_dynatune determines how Advanced Server allocates system resources.
• After the installation is complete, you can adjust the value of edb_dynatune by editing the postgresql.conf file. After editing the postgresql.conf file, you must restart the server for the changes to take effect.The workload profile value is used as an initial value for the edb_dynatune_profile configuration parameter. edb_dynatune_profile controls performance-tuning based on the type of work that the server performs.
• Specify oltp if the server will be processing heavy online transaction workloads.
• Specify mixed if the server will provide a mix of transaction processing and data reporting.
• Specify reporting if the database server will be used for heavy data reporting.After the installation is complete, you can adjust the value of edb_dynatune_profile by editing the postgresql.conf file and restarting the server.Before continuing with the installation, the installer displays the selected options and initializes the database cluster in preparation for the installation of individual components. When the installer has prepared the system for the installation, the installation begins. Before installing a component, the installer prompts you to select modules for installation. With each component, onscreen warnings may alert you to unresolved dependencies may be noted on the screen.Slony facilitates master-standby replication suited for large databases with a limited number of standby systems.PgBouncer is a lightweight connection pooling utility for Advanced Server. Connection pooling can dramatically reduce processing time and resources for systems maintaining client connections to one or more databases.==============
NOTE: We will not be able to examine, if port is currently used by other application.
Please enter the port on which PgBouncer will listen: :For more information about Infinite Cache and the icache daemon, see the Postgres Plus Enterprise Edition Guide, available at:NOTE: Infinite Cache service is installed. Please configure it as per your requirement and start the service.pgpool-II provides load balancing, connection pooling, high availability, and connection limits for Advanced Server databases.EDB*Plus is the Advanced Server command line interface that offers compatibility with Oracle’s SQL Plus commands.EDB Postgres Migration Toolkit is a command line migration utility that facilitates migration from MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server and Sybase databases. The installer will prompt you for the absolute path of java on your system; Java 1.7 or higher is required for Migration Toolkit.Found Postgres Enterprise Manager Client. Do you want to configure Postgres Enterprise Manager Client? (Y/n)[Y]:Select the Postgres Enterprise Manager Client option to install the PEM Client application. The PEM Client provides a powerful graphical interface for database management and monitoring.