To use the Postgres Expert wizard select the Postgres Expert option from the Management menu in the PEM client. When the wizard's Welcome window opens (see Figure 13.1), click Next to continue.The wizard displays a tree control that allows you to choose the Experts and Rules with which Postgres Expert will evaluate the specified server or database (see Figure 13.2).The tree control categorizes the rules under three Expert headings:
• Select from the Configuration Expert rules to analyze the parameter settings of the server or operating system to find any adjustments that might improve system performance.
• Select from the Schema Expert rules to analyze schema objects (locating missing primary keys, foreign keys without indexes, etc).
• Select from the Security Expert rules to review the system to find security vulnerabilities.Use the checkmark indicator to the left of an expert or rule to indicate that the Postgres Expert should analyze the configuration of the selected servers for any best practice deviations related to the selected item.
• Click the Select all button to instruct Postgres Expert to review the selected server for all of the items listed in the tree control.
• Click the Unselect all button to un-check all of the rules, and navigate through the tree control, specifying only the items that you wish Postgres Expert to evaluate.After making your selections, click Next to continue to the Server/Databases tree control (see Figure 13.3).If you select multiple servers or databases, the resulting report will contain a separate analysis of each target. Select or de-select the servers and databases that you would like Postgres Expert to analyze, and select Next to select a report destination (see Figure 13.4).You can select the default option and click Finish to view an onscreen report from Postgres Expert, or check the box next to Save the report to a file to save a copy of the report to an HTML file for later use. If you wish to save the report to a file, specify a filename in the field provided, or use the button to the right of the field to open a browser window and select a location using the browser.