You can use the PEM chart editor (see Figure 6.10) to create or modify a custom line chart or table; after defining a chart, you can display the chart on a custom dashboard. To open the chart editor, select Manage Charts... from the PEM Management menu.Use the Manage Charts button to view a list of options that allow you to create a new chart, or modify an existing chart:
• Click the Create New Chart button to begin defining a chart.
• Select the Import Capacity Manager Template button to select a capacity manager template on which to base the chart.Use the Definition button to open or close the Definition panel. Use the fields in the Definition panel to specify general information about the chart:
• Specify the name of the chart in the Name field.
• Specify the category in which this chart will be displayed in the Category field. When adding a custom chart to a custom dashboard, the chart will be displayed for selection in the Category specified.
• Provide a description of the chart in the Description field. The description will be displayed to the user viewing the chart (on a custom dashboard) when they click the information icon.
• Use the Auto Refresh field to specify the number of minutes between chart updates - choose a value from 1 to 999. The default auto refresh rate is 2 minutes.
• Use the Level drop-down listbox to specify the level of the PEM hierarchy from which you wish to select metrics. You can specify Agent, Database, or Server. Each level has access to a unique set of probes that return the information that you can include in your chart.
• Use the Type drop-down listbox to specify the type of chart that you would like to create. Select either a Line Chart or a Table.
• Use the Teams selector to specify which roles will have access to the new chart:
o Check the Share with all checkbox to indicate that all users may access the chart.Use the Options button to open or close the Options panel. Use the fields in the Options panel to specify configuration details for the chart:
• Use the Points to plot field to specify the number of points that PEM should plot on the chart.
• Use the Historical Span field to specify the number of minutes, hours, or days of historical data that should be included on the chart.
• Check the box next to Extrapolated to instruct PEM to generate extrapolated data based on the specified historical data, and enable the Span and Threshold radio buttons.
• Select the radio button next to Span, and use the day and hour selectors to specify the period of time spanned by the metrics on the chart. Specify the number of Days and Hours for which data will be displayed.
• Select the radio button next to Threshold, and use the threshold selectors to specify a maximum or minimum value for the chart.Use the Metrics selection button to open or close the Metrics selection panel. Use the fields in the Metrics selection panel to select or modify the metrics that are displayed on a line chart.If you are creating a line chart, the probes that correspond to the selected level (Agent, Server, or Database) will be displayed in a tree control in the Metrics selection panel. To include a given metric on your chart, expand the tree control and double-click the name of the metric, or drag the metric to the selection panel.
• The selection panel displays the name of the metric in the (non-modifiable) Metric [Probe] column.
• Use the selection boxes in the Selection Criteria column to specify the order of the data displayed and limits for the metric.
• PEM supports comparisons of cross-hierarchy metrics. You can use the Compare Against column to select a metric from another agent, server, or database to compare to the specified metric.
o When you've selected the objects that will be compared to the metric, click Ok to preserve your selections and return to the Metrics selection panel, or Cancel to return to the Metrics selection panel without saving your selections.
o Click the copy icon to copy the comparable objects for this metric to all of the metrics for the same probe.If you are creating a table, the bottom panel will display a list of probes that correspond to the selected level (Agent, Server, or Database). Select a probe name to view the available metrics gathered by that probe. Check the box next to the name of a metric to include the metric on your table, and to access fields that allow you to specify the order of the data displayed, and limits for the metric.When you've finished defining the chart, click the disk icon in the upper-right hand corner of the chart editor to save your edits.Use the icons in the upper-right corner of each graphic on a dashboard to control and customize the charts, graphs and tables displayed in the PEM client for your current user session (see Figure 6.11).For more information about customizing the graphics displayed on the PEM dashboards, please see the PEM client online help.