To use the Postgres Expert wizard select the Postgres Expert option from the Management menu in the PEM client. When the wizard's Welcome window opens (see Figure 11.1), click Next to continue.The wizard displays a tree control that allows you to choose the Experts and Rules with which Postgres Expert will evaluate the specified server or database (see Figure 11.2).The tree control categorizes the rules under three Expert headings:
• Select from the Configuration Expert rules to analyze the parameter settings of the server or operating system to find any adjustments that might improve system performance.
• Select from the Schema Expert rules to analyze schema objects (locating missing primary keys, foreign keys without indexes, etc).
• Select from the Security Expert rules to review the system to find security vulnerabilities.Use the checkmark indicator to the left of an expert or rule to indicate that the Postgres Expert should analyze the configuration of the selected servers for any best practice deviations related to the checked item.
• Check the box next to Servers/Databases to instruct Postgres Expert to review the selected server for all of the items in the tree control.
• Deselct the box next to Servers/Databases to to un-check all of the rules; then, navigate through the tree control, specifying only the items that you wish Postgres Expert to evaluate.After making your selections, click Next to continue to the Server/Databases tree control (see Figure 11.3).Select or de-select the servers and databases that you would like Postgres Expert to analyze. If you select multiple servers or databases, the resulting report will contain a separate analysis of each target. When you've finished, click Next to select a report destination (see Figure 11.4).You can select the default option and click Finish to view an onscreen report from Postgres Expert, or check the box next to Download the report to save a copy of the report to an HTML file for later use. If you choose to save the report to a file, the download will begin immediately. The file will be saved in your default download directory.