Gartner Report: Best Practices for Running Containers and Kubernetes in Production
According to Gartner, although adoption of containers is increasing, running them in production can be challenging, due to technological immaturity and a lack of operational knowhow in organizations.
As adoption of containers and Kubernetes increases for legacy modernization and cloud-native applications, many companies often underestimate the effort required to operate containers in production—which comes with challenges.
The important question to as yourself is: How do you determine whether you’re ready to move to containerized workloads in production?
Here, we’ll discuss key considerations and best practices best practices to create a container platform strategy.
Determining Whether You’re Ready to Move Containerized Workloads to Production
Gartner states, “Organizations should take a realistic view of the business requirements that demand containerization of production workloads. It’s crucial that IT leaders evaluate whether they have the right skill sets to forge ahead, given the steep learning curve.”
So where should you start? The 2019 Gartner Report, Best Practices for Running Containers and Kubernetes in Production, explores key challenges and recommendations for deploying containers in production environments, such as Docker containers and Kubernetes.
According to Gartner analysis, organizations are currently faced with challenges such as:
- “Container usage for production deployments in enterprises is still constrained by concerns regarding security, monitoring, data management and networking.
- Cloud-native applications require a high degree of infrastructure automation and specialized operations skills, which are not commonly found in enterprise IT organizations.
- Identifying, creating and empowering the right team is challenging, due to legacy mindsets and operational burdens on team members.
- There is a hodgepodge of competing vendor interests, uncertain monetization strategies and varied consumption models. This makes vendor selection more difficult, poses serious questions about the commitment of large vendors and affects the viability of startups in the container space.”
Best practices for running containers covered in the report include:
- Security and Governance
- Container Lifecycle Management
- Container Orchestration
What Does it Take to Scale DevOps?
We believe the report also discusses the importance of cloud and hybrid, and the benefits of using the right platform to scale production efforts.
Read the full report here where Gartner reviews best practices for running containers and Kubernetes in production.
Gartner Best Practices for Running Containers and Kubernetes in Production, Arun Chandrasekaran, 25 February 2019
Get Postgres Tips and Tricks
Subscribe to our newsletter to get advanced Postgres how-tos.