To perform an abbreviated installation of Advanced Server without access to administrative privileges, invoke the installer from the command line and include the
--extract-only option. The --extract-only option extracts the binary files in an unaltered form, allowing you to experiment with a minimal installation of Advanced Server.If you invoke the installer with the --extract-only options, you can either manually create a cluster and start the service, or run the installation script. To manually create the cluster, you must:
• Use initdb to initialize the cluster
• Use pg_ctl to start the serviceFor more information about the initdb and pg_ctl commands, please see the PostgreSQL Core Documentation at:If you include the --extract-only option, the installer steps through a shortened form of the Setup wizard. During the brief installation process, the installer generates an installation script that can be later used to complete a more complete installation. You must have administrative privileges to invoke the installation script.The scripted Advanced Server installation does not create menu shortcuts or provide access to EDB Postgres StackBuilder Plus, and no modifications are made to registry files. The Advanced Server Update Monitor will not detect components installed by the scripted installation, and will not issue alerts for available updates to those components.To perform a limited installation and generate an installation script, download and unpack the Advanced Server installer. Navigate into the directory that contains the installer, and invoke the installer with the command:edb-as12-server-12.x.x-x-windows.exe --extract-only yesA dialog opens, prompting you to choose an installation language. Select a language for the installation from the drop-down listbox, and click OK to continue. The Setup Wizard opens (shown in Figure 3.16).Click Next to continue.You can accept the default installation location (see Figure 3.17), and click Next to continue to the Ready to Install window (shown in Figure 3.18), or optionally click the File Browser icon to choose an alternate installation directory.Click Next to proceed with the Advanced Server installation. During the installation, progress bars and popups mark the installation progress. The installer notifies you when the installation is complete (see Figure 3.19).After completing the minimal installation, you can execute a script to initialize a cluster and start the service. The script is (by default) located in:To execute the installation script, open a command line and assume administrative privileges. Navigate to the directory that contains the script, and execute the command:The installation script executes at the command line, prompting you for installation configuration information. The default configuration value is displayed in square braces immediately before each prompt; update the default value or press Enter to accept the default value and continue.The following dialog is an example of a scripted installation. The actual installation dialog may vary, and will reflect the options specified during the installation.Please enter the installation directory [ C:\Program Files\edb\as12 ] :The database mode specifies the database dialect with which the Advanced Server installation is compatible. The optional values are oracle or postgresql.Specify oracle mode to include the following functionality:
• Oracle-styled concatenation rules (if you concatenate a string value with a NULL value, the returned value is the value of the string).
• Schemas (dbo and sys) compatible with Oracle databases added to the SEARCH_PATH.If you choose to install in Compatible with Oracle mode, the Advanced Server superuser name is enterprisedb.Specify postgresql to install Advanced Server with complete compatibility with Postgres version 12.For more information about PostgreSQL functionality, see the PostgreSQL Core Documentation available at:If you choose to install in Compatible with PostgreSQL mode, the Advanced Server superuser name is postgres.NOTE: We will not be able to examine, if port is currently used by other application.
Please enter port: [ 5444 ] :Specify a locale for the Advanced Server installation. If you accept the DEFAULT value, the locale defaults to the locale of the host system.You can optionally install sample tables and procedures. Press Return, or enter Y to accept the default and install the sample tables and procedures; enter an n and press Return to skip this step.Specify a password for the database superuser. By default, the database superuser is named enterprisedb.Please enter the password for the ServiceAccount(enterprisedb): [ ] :The server utilization value is used as an initial value for the edb_dynatune configuration parameter. edb_dynatune determines how Advanced Server allocates system resources.
• Specify a value between 1 and 100:After the installation is complete, you can adjust the value of edb_dynatune by editing the postgresql.conf file, located in the data directory of your Advanced Server installation. After editing the postgresql.conf file, you must restart the server for the changes to take effect.The workload profile value is used as an initial value for the edb_dynatune_profile configuration parameter. edb_dynatune_profile controls performance-tuning based on the type of work that the server performs.
• Specify oltp if the server will be supporting heavy online transaction workloads.
• Specify mixed if the server will provide a mix of transaction processing and data reporting.
• Specify reporting if the database server will be used for heavy data reporting.Specify a value between 1 and 100:After the installation is complete, you can adjust the value of edb_dynatune_profile by editing the postgresql.conf file, located in the data directory of your Advanced Server installation, and restarting the server.