EnterpriseDB Announces General Availability of Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.1
Latest version improves write scalability and performance, provides flexibility and reliability with transaction-level control of synchronous replication and adds Virtual Private Database for extra security
BEDFORD, Mass. – February 9, 2012 – EnterpriseDB, the leading worldwide provider of PostgreSQL and Oracle compatibility products and services, today announced general availability of Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.1. The release features significant performance enhancements, including the option to free even more processing power for some applications with the industry’s only synchronous replication control on a per-transaction basis. This latest version also speeds read performance and write scalability, enables unlogged tables for greater performance and flexibility and expands the Oracle-compatible feature set.
“Our newest version of Postgres Plus Advanced Server adds new, high-end capabilities for performance, reliability, security and scalability. With this release we are enabling our end users to accelerate the expansion of their Postgres Plus deployments at a price point exponentially less than the traditional proprietary databases,” said Ed Boyajian, president and CEO of EnterpriseDB. “These enhancements also give new users even more reason to start looking at Postgres Plus as an alternative for their data centers.”
Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.1 includes the following enterprise-class enhancements:
- Synchronous Replication – Provides maximum control over transaction environments by enabling end users to activate synchronous replication on a per-transaction basis (or per connection or per user) – a level of flexibility and control not available in any other database. This ensures no data is lost should a master fail, and provides performance gains by allowing the application or end user to select what transactions are replicated. This process confirms a transaction has been successfully applied to the slave server’s journal before it is committed to the master.
- Unlogged Tables – Gives end users the option to maximize performance by choosing ‘unlogged’ when creating tables, thus no write-ahead logging (WAL) records are kept. This becomes useful when applications must perform quickly and data loss, should the system fail, is not a concern, such as an online store where the emphasis is on preserving purchase data, but other information like the product reviews a customer viewed, which can generate significantly more data, is less critical.
- Improved Read Management – Fundamental improvements to efficiently handle more queries than ever before, and significantly improves performance – particularly on read-only workloads and on machines with more CPUs.
- Improved Write Scalability – Now more scalable than ever. New lock manager code, lock avoidance techniques and shortened critical sections allow Postgres Plus Advanced Server to more fully utilize the resources of systems with 32 cores or more, rather than being limited by lock contention.
- Expanded Oracle Compatibility – Includes Virtual Private Database, a type of fine-grained access control using row level security policies. This feature allows a number of useful, centralized security implementations that limit the data that end users may access.
Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.1 is available today on Linux 32 and 64 bit platforms, Windows 32 and 64 bit platforms, HP-UX and Solaris.
To learn more about Postgres Plus Advanced Server 9.1, please visit the product page.
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB, the Enterprise PostgreSQL Company, provides enterprise-class PostgreSQL products and PostgreSQL services to help IT organizations be successful with the world's most advanced open source database. The company's Postgres Plus products are ideally suited for transaction-intensive applications requiring superior performance, massive scalability and compatibility with proprietary database products to reduce overall database costs. EnterpriseDB has offices in North America, Europe and Asia. The company was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in Bedford, MA. For more information, please call +1-781-357-3390, or visit www.enterprisedb.com. EnterpriseDB and Postgres Plus are trademarks of EnterpriseDB Corporation. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Media Contact Susan Torrey,