Date -2010-07-26 EnterpriseDB Announces Immediate Availability of Newest Version of Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Sixth-generation of Oracle compatibility, StackBuilder Plus among multiple enterprise-class enhancements
WESTFORD, Mass. - July 26, 2010 - EnterpriseDB, the enterprise Postgres company, today announced the immediate availability of the latest version of its flagship Postgres Plus(R) Advanced Server database, known for providing enterprise-class performance, scalability and compatibility features to Postgres. Among the many enhancements in version 8.4 are the sixth-generation of Oracle compatibility, the integration of EnterpriseDB's installation and update technology - StackBuilder Plus - and enhanced security features.
EnterpriseDB's Postgres Plus Advanced Server 8.4, which is built on the open source object relational Postgres database, is now fully compatible with all the features and functionality found in the most recent community distribution. In this latest release, EnterpriseDB continues to enrich Postgres Plus by building enterprise-class capabilities on top of the industry's only independent open source relational database management system.
EnterpriseDB has added several usability and management enhancements to its Postgres Plus Advanced Server including:
- Enhanced Oracle compatibility layer. With this sixth generation of its Oracle compatibility layer, EnterpriseDB continues to expand the universe of Oracle-centric applications that can be newly built in or migrated to Postgres. The new features help ensure that the time and cost of Postgres adoption is minimized, as organizations can preserve their existing investments in Oracle technology and skill sets.
- SQL/Protect. New query learning and enforcement modes provided by SQL/Protect give DBAs an unprecedented amount of power in guarding against SQL injection attacks. DBAs can now provide an additional layer of security to what is normally left up to application developers.
- StackBuilder Plus. This installation management and automation tool enables users to quickly and easily add new features to Advanced Server. EnterpriseDB selects the features most critical to enterprise customers, acquires the latest source code, builds binaries and installers, and tests the integration of the features. New modules recently added to StackBuilder Plus specifically for Advanced Server include:
- Postgres Plus(R) HQ, a comprehensive database infrastructure monitoring tool, can check more than 160 availability, performance, throughput and utilization metrics for Postgres Plus databases and automatically alert DBAs to out-of-bounds conditions.
- xDB Replication Server allows organizations to offload Oracle reporting tasks from an OLTP server, create Postgres Plus warm stand-by servers, or use xDB Replication Server to migrate data to a new Advanced Server system.
"In release 8.4 of Postgres Plus Advanced Server we continue to make significant strides in support of our overall mission to provide the market with real choice by offering an enterprise-class alternative to expensive proprietary databases and freeing companies from vendor lock-in," said Ed Boyajian, president and CEO of EnterpriseDB. "Many of the updates are designed to simplify the deployment, integration, usability and management of Postgres Plus. These improvements will further accelerate enterprise adoption of Postgres, as we've witnessed with previous versions."
About Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Postgres Plus Advanced Server is a commercially licensed product that adds enterprise-class functionality and increased performance to Postgres Plus, EnterpriseDB's open source distribution of Postgres. Please visit http://www.enterprisedb.com/postgresql-products/purchase for more details.
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB, the enterprise Postgres company, provides enterprise-class PostgreSQL products and PostgreSQL services to help IT organizations be successful with the world's most advanced open source database. The company's Postgres Plus products are ideally suited for transaction-intensive applications requiring superior performance, massive scalability and compatibility with proprietary database products to reduce overall database costs. EnterpriseDB has offices in North America, Europe and Asia. The company was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in Westford, Mass. For more information, please call +1-978-589-5709, or visit www.enterprisedb.com.
EnterpriseDB and Postgres Plus are trademarks of EnterpriseDB Corporation. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Davies Murphy Group