Easy-to-use tool simplifies critical DBA disaster recovery tasks and satisfies demand for an enterprise-class backup and recovery solution
EnterpriseDB (EDB), the leading worldwide provider of enterprise-class Postgres products and database compatibility solutions, today announced the release of EDB Backup and Recovery Tool (BART).
EDB BART gives Postgres users a single tool to set up, manage and automate processes for backup and recovery in the event of an operator error, database corruption or other massive system failure. It replaces a series of complex steps and coding requirements that Postgres users have had to master to ensure databases back up on schedule, and can be rebuilt.
The new tool is a critical component to EDB’s suite of integrated enterprise-grade Postgres tools that enable global enterprises deploying Postgres to support a range of non-mission and mission-critical workloads. In addition to BART, EDB has developed and rolled out tools for monitoring and alert management, single- and multi-master replication, automated failover, protection against SQL injection attacks, database migrations and automated updates.
“Our tools represent the most comprehensive and advanced set of solutions for today’s enterprise Postgres user,” said Marc Linster, Senior Vice President, Products and Services at EnterpriseDB. “As Postgres deployments expand in size and across more end users, demand rises for easy-to-use tools that address a range of complex management and security requirements. Working closely with end users, we have introduced tools to address these needs, and we continue to enhance our solutions as other needs evolve.”
Features Target User Needs
EDB BART supports both open source PostgreSQL and EDB’s Postgres Plus Advanced Server, and integrates with existing backup and recovery processes enterprises typically have in place.
Among the key features are:
- Backup and Recovery Manager Catalog—Enables users to manage a catalog of the local and remote Postgres servers involved in backup and recovery.
- Command Line Interface—Gives users powerful options to execute backup, restore and management operations, and it can be integrated into existing scheduled backups (e.g. cron jobs).
- Hot Physical Backups—Allows continued user access without interruption by enabling the database to back up without having to shut down.
- Point-in-Time-Recovery—Gives users the ability to roll forward from a point of last database backup.
- Auto-Compression and MD5 Checksum Verification—Provides for reduced backup file storage and recording of MD5 checksums to validate backup files.
- Support for Multiple Tablespaces on Different Paths—Ensures that backup and recovery adheres to file management policies, and is compatible with existing policies.
Find more information on EDB BART and other EDB tools here.
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB is the leading worldwide provider of Postgres software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly proprietary solutions and slash their database spend by 80% or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and database compatibility for Oracle, EnterpriseDB software supports both mission and non-mission critical enterprise applications. More than 2,500 enterprises, governments and other organizations worldwide use EnterpriseDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate open source software into their existing data infrastructures. Based in Bedford, MA, EnterpriseDB is backed by top-tier venture capitalists and strategic investors like Red Hat and IBM. For more information, please visit https://www.enterprisedb.com.