Moving to the cloud is hard, and moving Postgres databases to the cloud is even harder. Public cloud or private cloud? Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), or Platform as a Service (PaaS)? Kubernetes for the application, or for the database and the application? This talk will juxtapose self-managed Kubernetes and container-based database solutions, Postgres deployments on IaaS, and Postgres DBaaS solutions of which EDB’s DBaaS BigAnimal is the latest example.
The talk will review cloud architecture considerations and provide guidance for decision makers
What you will learn:
- Why are enterprises moving towards databases in the cloud?
- Why a “database in the cloud” is not the same thing as a “database on a cloud database service”
- What are the key properties of a cloud database service, and why does that matter?
- What options are available when one decides to move Postgres databases to the cloud?
- How to choose between Postgres on Kubernetes, Postgres on IaaS, or Postgres on a database as a service
- Key considerations when moving a Postgres database to the cloud
Marc Linster, CTO, EDB.